NIR Flat Wagons 713 and C505
At a glance:
|Builder:||Ulster Transport Authority (Duncrue Street Works)|
|Original company:||Ulster Transport Authority|
|Final company:||Northern Ireland Railways|
|Arrived at DCDR:||1991|
Our other flat wagon, 713, arrived at Downpatrick as a complete carriage but its body was unfortunately destroyed in an arson attack. It was one of three coaches built in Derby by the LMS for the NCC in 1926, and was originally numbered 66. It became UTA 278 in 1959, and was converted to a 70 class driving trailer in 1968; it gained open seating in 1977. Following withdrawn in 1984, it was partially converted to an ‘exhibition coach’ by NIR before arriving at Downpatrick in 1991. We used it for several years as our ‘Santa’s Grotto’ for our Christmas trains. On Boxing Day of 2002, would-be thieves set fire to our station building and 713, having been stabled outside it, became caught up in the inferno. With the body wrecked beyond saving, we reluctantly removed the charred remains and have used 713 as a flat wagon ever since.