|At a glance:|
|Builder:||Ashbury Carriage & Iron Company (Openshaw Works, Manchester)|
|Original company:||Midland Great Western Railway|
|Final company:||Córas Iompair Éireann|
|Arrived at DCDR:||2006|
No. 25 was built to the same design as our other MGWR carriage, No. 53, except this one sat second-class passengers instead of thirds, and was built in England under contract instead of in-house at the MGWR’s Dublin Broadstone Works. It was converted to a first-class carriage in 1914 and was subsequently fitted with toilets – an unusual feature in such a small carriage. Like No. 53, this coach was used on the Thurles breakdown train after passenger service and was preserved by the Great Southern Railway Preservation Society along with its sister in the 1980s. After arriving at Downpatrick in 2006, it has been both outside and on display in our Carriage Gallery but is currently in storage in our workshop.