If you want to add an extra special treat to your day at our railway, get a Footplate Pass and you can travel with the driver of one of our locomotives, for a trip you won’t forget.
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to travel on the footplate of a steam locomotive, or even in the cab of a main line diesel locomotive? If so, wonder no more, you can do just that at a running day at our railway.
A £20 per person supplement will get you a trip from Downpatrick to Inch Abbey and return, enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of the steam engine. At times when we run a diesel service, you can imagine yourself in the cab of a locomotive on a distant branch line in rural Ireland in the 1960s or 70s.
Footplate passes are subject to availability – places are limited, and sometimes we may have to refuse them for operational reasons. For example, if we are training a new fireman or driver. Booking in advance means you are sure of getting your footplate experience
To take part in a footplate experience, you need to:
- Be aged 18+
- Be reasonably fit and able to climb into and out of a cab
- Not have any difficulty hearing or speaking (so the crew can communicate with you, especially in an emergency)
- Be able to travel on your own, without the need for a carer
- Wear sensible footwear (sandals are not sensible!)
- Sign an indemnity form before you are permitted to travel
- Comply with any request from the footplate crew, they are responsible for your safety and that of everyone on the train
Only one person can take place in a footplate experience at a time due to limited space in the cab.
Footplate passes are available on application from the ticket office on the day of travel, or you can buy them online now along with the rest of your tickets. If you have any questions please use our contact page to get in touch.