Our ‘sugarpuff’ steam locomotive, O&K No. 3, returns to service after overhaul.
The first trains cross the River Quoile since 1950 with the completion of the bridge and trackwork beyond it.
The railway has yet to get to Inch Abbey, so passengers for the first Magnus Barelegs Festival alight at a temporary platform beyond the bridge and travel by vintage bus to Inch Abbey.
The railway gets its first proper filming contract, for railway scenes in the Spike Milligan film ‘Puckoon’.
On Boxing Day, the railway station us gutted by an arson attack, which also destroyed a 1920s carriage.
After extensive rebuilding work, the station is reopened following the fire.

Our North Line to Inch Abbey, along with Inch Abbey Station itself, opens after a lengthy construction project.
Ex-GSWR carriage No. 1097 arrives at Downpatrick. The carriage is used in passenger service for the first time on Christmas trains a few weeks later.
Steam locomotive LP&HC, No. 3, is loaned to DCDR for six years of passenger service.

The BCDR Railmotor carriage, No. 72, moves into the workshop for a long restoration process to start.


GSWR steam locomotive No. 90 arrives in Downpatrick, in a move facilitated by Irish Rail.
Downpatrick & County Down Railway becomes an accredited museum.

BBC Northern Ireland broadcasts a 40 minute documentary about the restoration and running of our railway.

GSWR Steam locomotive No. 90 was officially launched at a ceremony at Downpatrick by Dick Fearn, the chief executive of Iarnród Éireann.
Our founder, Gerry Cochrane, launches his book – the definitive story of the restoration of the railway – in a ceremony at our station in Downpatrick.
The Irish Traction Group’s A39, our largest diesel loco to date, arrives at Downpatrick.