GSWR No. 90
At a glance:
|Builder:||London & North Western Railway (Crewe Works)|
|Original company:||Castleisland & Gortatlea Light Railway|
|Final company:||Iarnród Éireann|
|Arrived at DCDR:||2007|
|Current status:||Museum display|
The pair were constructed as railmotors, with small passenger carriages permanently attached. They could seat 14, with space for a guard. Designed for a 4.5-mile long branch line, their speed and coal/water capacity were quite limited. This would impede their usefulness later on down the line following the Castleisland & Gortatlea’s 1879 absorption into the GSWR, and the subsequent relaying of their branch line to open it up to heavier locomotives. The GSWR removed the carriage portions in 1915 and they were from then on used as conventional locomotives.
They made their way from Kerry to Cork, finding employment on the former Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway after it and the GSWR were merged into the Great Southern Railway in 1924. They were assigned initially to what had been the CBSCR’s Timoleague & Courtmacsherry extension, and spent most of the next 36 years on their ‘new’ branch line.
However they did sometimes stray from home, such as when they regularly made their way to the docks of Cork city to collect trains of newly imported Ford cars, or every Autumn when they were to be found on sugarbeet trains all across the former CBSCR. 90’s sister was scrapped after being replaced by CIÉ’s new ‘C’ class diesels in the mid 1950s, and 90 itself was withdrawn at Cork shed by 1959.
This withdrawal was brief however, and 90 returned as the Cork station pilot. This return to service was equally short though, and final withdrawal for 90 came in 1961. Thankfully CIÉ (who had taken ownership of 90 in 1945) recognised it was of historic interest and it was marked for preservation. Initially, it was moved to Fermoy on the Waterford – Mallow line for static display in the station’s defunct bay platform, but with the closure of the line in 1967 90 was moved to Mallow. It resided at Mallow for 16 years on its own special plinth where the Waterford platform had once been. In 1983 it was moved into the goods shed at Mallow for restoration by the newly-formed Great Southern Railway Preservation Society. Ultimately the GSRPS was not able to carry out the necessary work, and she remained at Mallow for another two years until Westrail came on the scene.
Westrail (formally the West of Ireland Steam Railway Association) set up base in the goods yard at Tuam station in Co. Galway in 1985, and as the name suggested they needed a steam locomotive. No. 90 was selected by the group and moved to Tuam that year, where it would undergo an extensive restoration to operational condition. The boiler was overhauled at Kinsale which tided 90 over until 1992 when a new-build boiler arrived from the Severn Valley Railway in England. Its first steaming in preservation took place in August 1990 and in September it was cleared for mainline trains on the Irish Rail network. Under Westrail auspices, 90 ran trains from Tuam to Claremorris, Athenry and Galway, and in conjunction with the Cobh Heritage Centre even ran some specials as far as Cobh from her former stomping ground in Cork.
For a number of reasons, particularly due to a lack of Iarnród Éireann steam drivers in Connacht, Westrail’s mainline operations came to an end in 1993 along with 90’s adventures on the mainline. It and its diesel partner E428 were moved to Inchicore Works in 1996 for participation in the ‘Inchicore 150’ open day. The steam engine later returned to Tuam but the deterioration of the loco shed there meant that its safety was at serious risk of vandalism. As a result of these concerns, 90 was moved to Inchicore in December 2004 and was acquired by DCDR the following year – just in time, as the Tuam shed was destroyed in an arson attack a few months later.
After an extensive overhaul at Whitehead, 90 arrived at Downpatrick in 2007 and worked our line until a series of significant, but rectifiable, issues brought about her early withdrawal in 2010. It is currently on display in the Carriage Gallery, though not for much longer as with O&K No. 3 back in steam, 90 is next in the queue. It is hoped that 90 will return to passenger traffic in the mid-2020s once O&K No. 1 comes out of traffic.
At over 140 years old, 90 is Ireland’s oldest steam locomotive capable of operation – the only older one, GSWR 36 in Cork, is beyond steaming again. It has had a long history, spanning three centuries, extended stays in all four provinces of Ireland, and countless changes of ownership, but we know that it has now found a safe and permanent home in Downpatrick. However we are indebted to the efforts of those who have went before us, most significantly Westrail, without whom 90 might not be around today. 90’s days on the Galway and Cobh lines may well be over, but in an age where even top-link express locomotives can struggle to find paths for steam railtours, today’s mainline is no place for this dinky little Victorian marvel. Although 90 may have started its career in the Kingdom of Kerry, we think it’s more than content to reside today in the Kingdom of Mourne.